Much like diapers, wet wipes, and rash creams, burp cloths aren’t among the most exciting items on anyone’s list of baby necessities, but they most certainly are on that list.
A tell-tale sign of a new parent: running errands with a burp cloth draped over your shoulder…when you’re out solo. This baby essential is so important, it sticks with you even when you’re not actually with the baby.
During the newborn months and beyond, you’ll want burp cloths on hand 24/7. Not only do burp cloths take the brunt of spit-up, but you can use them to wipe milk dribbles, sneezes or whatever comes your way. Because there’s usually something coming your way. Stock up on burp cloths that are soft, absorbent and hold up well after zillions of washes.
Burp cloths come in a wide variety of sizes, materials, prints, and colors. Our buying guide is crammed with helpful information, tips, tricks, and product recommendations to help you find the best burp cloth for you and your baby.
What to consider when buying a burp cloth
- Design. Most burp cloths come in a range of different colors and styles from plain white to seasonal patterns.
- Size, shape and materials. Since the product’s main goal is to, well, cover you up, you want to make sure that a burp cloth is big enough and built well enough to withstand some mess. Before you buy, take a look at a product’s dimensions as well as its shape (is it rectangular, square, shaped with indents at your shoulders?).
- Functionality. Burp cloths’ main purpose is obvious, but if you want to be savvy about your purchase (or are simply looking to save) consider cloths that could be used down the line as bibs as well (some products have snaps on them and can fasten behind baby’s neck). Others are big enough to even double as a nursing cover.
5 Best Burp Cloths of 2021:
These adorable Gerber cloths are big enough to cover your whole shoulder so none of your clothing falls victim to a spit-up incident. They come four in a pack and are a great bargain for those watching their budgets.
The best thing about these is the cute variety of patterns to choose from, including flowers, polka dots, stripes, hearts, or charming little elephants.
They’re made out of pure 100 percent cotton, which means your baby likely won’t have irritation from using them, plus the edges are neatly finished so they shouldn’t fray, even after repeated washings.
- These are durable
- The patterns are cute
- Very absorbent
- The colors, unfortunately, fade with repeated washings
- These are on the thinner side
If you are looking for a burp cloth made of organic cotton, then you may want to consider the Burtâ€™s Bees Baby 5 Pack of Burp Cloths. These burp cloths are made of organic cotton so they are soft to a babyâ€™s skin. In addition, these burp cloths are very absorbent due to the three panels and ribbed fabric.
These burp cloths are designed with a tri-fold for extra protection. While these burp cloths come in a five pack with various designs, you can choose from three color choices for the packs.
However, the Burt’s Bees Baby 5 Pack of Burp Cloths are a little more costly than some other well-known brand burp cloths.
Overall, you cannot go wrong with the Burt’s Bees Baby 5 Pack of Burp Cloths. They offer all of the features that you are looking for in a burp cloth. In addition, they come in attractive colors and designs and will withstand time and washings.
- Large enough to catch most spit-up incidents
- Machine washable
- The tri-fold design helps with absorbency
- Have ribbed fabric to help the mess stay on the cloth
- Cost more than some other national brand burp cloths
If you’re low on budget and looking for an affordable burp solution, the Luvable Friends Unisex Baby Flannel Burp Cloths can be the best bet. They’re great products at even better prices.
Made of 100% flannel cotton, they’re soft and gentle on your baby’s delicate skin. You’ll find a 3-ply fabric in the center and a 2-ply fabric on the outer panel to enhance the absorption of the burp cloths. So, whether you want to protect your clothes from your baby’s drool, messy feeding habit, or acid reflux, Luvable Friends Unisex Baby Flannel Burp Cloths can come in handy. All in all, they’re affordable and available in a plethora of colors and elegant designs.
When it comes to size, the Luvable Friends Burp Cloths are smaller than all the other burp cloths mentioned in this guide. So, they’re suitable for babies who don’t burp a lot. If your baby suffers from frequent indigestion, go for bigger burp cloths. The ribbon on the pack makes it suitable for gifting purpose.
- Made of 100% cotton
- An impressive collection of soothing colors and designs
- Extremely affordable
- Soft and gentle on the skin
- Small size as compared to others
- Takes time to dry
Large enough to cover bigger shoulders, these burp cloths are perfect for daddy duty. The minimal cloths are made of muslin material featuring serene prints that cast a vintage feel.
These thin, single-layer cloths are quick-drying, lightweight, and small enough to toss into a bag, car seat, or stroller for life on the go. Getting softer with each wash, you can easily use the cloth as a dish towel or blankie when the spit-up days are done. But, some parents did find that the single-layer was not absorbent enough.
Worth a mention, Milkbarn has teamed with Exile International to enhance the lives of women and children in the Democratic Republic of the Congo. A portion of each sale goes toward supporting local communities in this area.
- Made of 100% breathable cotton
- Doesn’t hold any odor
- Can make a great baby shower gift
- Simple and elegant designs
- Small size as compared to other burp cloths on the list except Luvable Friends Burp Cloths
If you are looking for an inexpensive burp cloth set, then you may want to take a look at the Luvable Friends Baby Layered Flannel Burp Cloths. These burp cloths are made from 100 percent cotton and can be machine washed.
The Luvable Friends Baby Layered Flannel Burp Cloths have both pros and cons. These cloths cover a large surface, are affordable, and are made from cotton flannel. In addition, you can get these sets in a variety of different colors and designs, the burp cloths are durable, and the panels are pre-folded.
However, the Luvable Friends Baby Layered Flannel Burp Cloths may shrink and fade with repeated washing. The cloths are also thin which may lead to some leakage with heavy spit up accidents.
Overall, the Luvable Friends Baby Layered Flannel Burp Cloths may not be the best choice out there. While these cloths may seem like a good deal due to the affordability and durability, they may not be the best choice if they are scratchy to a baby’s skin. I would look for another burp cloth with the same benefits that have fewer concerning issues.
- Soft cotton flannel
- Come in twenty-nine different color and design sets
- Larger than some others
- These burp cloths may shrink with washing
- The fabric may not be as soft as some other burp cloths
How Many Burp Cloths Do I Need?
One big spit up can soak a burp cloth, so you’ll need multiple ones on hand.
You don’t want to skimp on burp cloths. They usually don’t cost much, but they can save you a fortune — it ultimately costs more to replace the clothing your baby’s spit-up has ruined.
I preferred to keep two or three in my diaper bag at all times. I hated borrowing them out of there when I needed one at home because there were a couple of times when I did that and then forgot to replace them. It’s awful being on a day trip and discovering you forgot all your burp cloths at home.
How we chose our favorites
We’ve tracked down the best burp cloths on the market today based on popularity, reviews, and recommendations. We looked for burp cloths that are:
- made of natural fabric that’s gentle enough for sensitive skin
- durable enough to withstand repeated use and washings
- made of high-quality materials with good stitching
- affordable enough to be purchased as multiple sets
- large enough to provide coverage
- absorbent, breathable, and quick-drying
- comfortable and easy to use
- stylish enough to brighten your day
Best Burp Cloths Tips
- Keep a clean burp cloth on hand. Equip yourself with a generous number of burp cloths and wash them regularly so you’re never left without.
- Opt for fuller coverage. Despite taking up more space in your dresser or diaper bag, a large burp cloth will reward you with more comprehensive protection.
- Feed your baby in an upright position. If you’re bottle-feeding your little one, holding your baby at a slight incline will help keep milk from traveling back up.
- Prop your baby up after feeds. Spitting up can happen even after a good burp, especially if you lay your baby down directly after a feed. Try propping your munchkin up on a C-shaped nursing pillow to give the tummy time to settle.